UVM Active Directory and Windows Services are two separate, but intrinsically linked service suites.
Windows Services consists of the following centrally-funded offerings:
- Home directories - for secure personal file storage.
- "My Documents" folder redirection - with Offline-file synchronization to provide automated file backup. This allows mobile users to access their documents when disconnected from the network.
- Shared folders - for secure storage of departmental documents
- Backup services - performed automatically for all personal and shared files, with a three month file retention policy
- Self-service file recovery - for recently modified or deleted files
- Print services - network printer location, connection, and driver distribution service
- Windows Sharepoint Services - Web-based collaboration tools with MS Office integration
- Microsoft SQL Server - database hosting
Windows Services are are backed by our Active Directory (AD) Services. Our Active Directory is an independent project, but Windows Services users also receive these services:
- Ongoing support for the hardware and software that run the UVM Active Directory forest. Support includes security, redundancy, upgrade, backup, and maintenance of for the domain controller servers.
- Integration with the campus UVM NetID (Kerberos-based) authentication service which allows UVM NetID authentication at the desktop
- Integration with the campus LDAP directory service which automatically creates the single sign-on accounts for faculty, staff, affiliates, and students in UVM Active Directory
- Delegated Organizational Unit (OU) Management for distributed IT staff
- Integration with the campus (BIND-based) DNS service
- Migration assistance for:
- Departments running separate Windows 2000/2003 AD Forests
- Departments running legacy NT 4.0 Domains
- Departments using Enhanced LAN Services
- Easier computer resource management through Group Policy Objects (GPO), remote software installation, and the establishment of minimum security requirements. The UVM Active Directory enforces a baseline set of policies. Advice on creation and configuration of additional policies also is provided.
- Minimal security patch management for associated Windows desktop and server system using Microsoft Windows Server Update System (WSUS).
- Forum for discussion of Active Directory and Active Directory Security issues through a Design Group and this dynamic web site.
- Notice of important changes and scheduled maintenance through the IT-Announce and IT-Discuss mailing lists.
- Events and Announcements lists (available on this site), which detail important events and milestones
- A FAQ page to help administrators find a quick solution to common problems.
- Support for user and machine certificates using Active Directory-integrated Certificate Servers