With the release of Adobe Reader 9, Adobe has started bundling a lot of junk in with their PDF reader. To avoid the installation of Adobe AIR, and the Adobe.com AIR application, we will use the Adobe Reader Customization Wizard:
There is a nice write up on this subject here:
- Download and install the Customization Wizard tool
- Download the Adobe Reader "slim" package from here:
The file that you want will be the smaller .exe file, with a name such as "AdbeRdr910_en_US.exe" (note no "Std" in the executable name).
- Extract the contents of the EXE using the "-nos_ne" and "-nos_o./AdobeInstaller" arguments.
- Also obtain the latest Reader patches from the Adobe download site:
- Run the configuration wizard. Open the package "AcroRead.msi". Make configuration choices as you deem appropriate, then save both the package and the Transforms file to the distribution point. In our environment, we enable acceptance of the EULA, disable Acrobat.com features, disable "digital editions", and disable the desktop icon. We configure setup to run without prompting, and suppress reboot.
- Use a BAT file to chain the MSP patch to the main installation routine as follows:
start /wait setup.exe && msiexec /p AdbeRdrUpd912_all_incr.msp /qb-