Using the Previous Versions tab to recover files
The file server for Campus Active Directory Services makes several snapshots of the shared (S:) and personal folders (MyDocs and H:) each day that can be conveniently accessed through the Previous Versions tab in the properties of a file or folder. These snapshots are kept for a couple weeks, so if you notice a missing or corrupt file in that timeframe, you can recover files without having to call the help desk.
- Right-click the damaged file or the folder that contained a deleted file
- Select Properties
- Click the Previous Versions tab
- Select the folder that would have contained the deleted file. (e.g., if the file was deleted this morning, select the spanshot from last night (very early this morning)).
- Click the View button to open a read-only version of the folder as it existed at that time. (Avoid the Restore button, which will overwrite your current folder with the folder as it existed at the selected time.)
- Find the deleted file in the read-only window (identified by the time stamp in the window title), and copy it to the desired location.